Monday, June 29, 2009

Was quite thrilled to see Zoya Factor author Anuja Chauhan say her current read is Georgette Heyer's Frederica in TOI's supplement last Sunday. And this is not just because my current read is The Talisman Ring by the same author. Thrilled because the moment any celeb type is asked what they read, their answer is never ever Georgette Heyer or John Grisham or even Marian Keyes for that matter. Everyone is either reading Thomas Friedman or Paulo Coelho or even Ayn Rand. Centuries ago in my youth, the newspaper I worked for had a section called Who's Reading What that meant calling up random celeb types and asking them which book they were reading. The starlet types (and their male equivalents, now what should they be called, star lads?) usually mentioned Ayn Rand or Chicken Soup for the Soul. Not having read any of these (yes not even Ayn Rand, will lose all readership now), always wondered if these were regulation reads in Kishore Namit's and all those other acting classes. These days Paulo Coelho seems de rigeur, at least in the starlet/lad/ad model-turned-movie model world. Which is why, I was so happy to see Anuja Chauhan's instant 'Frederica' admission. Because nobody admits to reading anything frivolous, much less romantic, in public these days. Unless it's stuff like Adrian Mole, already stamped and sealed with . Now will all those people who have snuck in a Mary Higgins Clark or even a Mills & Boons as a brainfree late night read please get up and say so when they are asked? Which reminds me, what incidentally is your current read?

21 comments:

shub said...

Ayyo. I feel a tad un-frivolous in this case. Currently reading 'Confessions of an economic hit man.' Ahem, blame it on the spouse.

Barkha said...

Can I shamelessly say that I'm reading Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead right now? Had heard so much about it that I wanted to know what it was about. It doesn't disappoint. So far.

Hornswoggler said...

Shub: You're back! Oh and that book sounds damn interesting. Shall google and read.

Barkha: Yes, apparently it never disappoints. But somehow can't bring myself to read it. Dunno y

Aqua said...

Am toggling between "almost single -advaita kala" (Hilarious but 'very' inspired by the famous British Singleton!) and "kafka on the shore - Haruki Murakami" (so dreamlike that I feel drugged when I read it).

what's the verdict on your current read?

Hornswoggler said...

my current read? not one of her best but fun nevertheless

Anonymous said...

Just finished "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. Loved it!
Up next: Sophie's Choice

-Inkspill

Hornswoggler said...

see the advantage of asking people? readymade reading list

Anonymous said...

I just read VOGUE, which has a raincoat that costs Rs1,16,000 only.

Subs

Hornswoggler said...

Burberry darlinge?

Sonia said...

re-reading A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian. It's hilarious!

Mama - Mia said...

what am i reading? ypu promise you wont laugh?! pucca?!

am reading Chandrakanta (the book on which the jaadui serialw as based) and that too in Hindi! this is my first full fledged novel in Hindi, and its not easy! but hey its fun! :D

and here's a blog you might enjoy reading! :) all about books n food!

http://couchpapaya.blogspot.com/

cheers!

abha

Anonymous said...

You're out of date. Celebs are now reading The Kite Runner. More up to date celebs are reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. Ayn Rand is for regressives.

Kahini

Hornswoggler said...

Sonia: adding adding

Abha: Thanks for the blog. will check it out. And why should I laugh? Where did you find Chandrakanta? In Bangalore?

Kahini: Are they? shucks that's wot happens when you are out of touch with PR babes and your only colleague is the computer

Mama - Mia said...

no! i didnt find it here. a pal actually hunted down the publisher and got a copy from him! the buddy wasnt keen on Chandrakanta being my first Hindi novel since the language is quite crass and all that! but then me enjoying it! tho ofcos if i had read it when i was 12, i might have liked it more!

cheers!

abha

Anonymous said...

Very determined to finish The Jim Corbett Omnibus, having failed to finish it in the three days of train travel! Following it are Love In The Time Of Cholera and High Fidelity.

--Hyde

Hornswoggler said...

Hyde: I heart Love In The Time of Cholera and High Fidelity. Jim Corbett I dunno. Was never too fond of the man eaters world. Btw fact, picked up Nick Hornby's first young adult novel Slam for my niece some days back and it was quite good.

Anonymous said...

I struggled to get through the only Paulo Coelho book I attempted to read (there, I already feel better admitting it).
and frankly, Robin Sharma bores me
(ahhh).
I'd rather just curl up with a vol of PGW or Amitav Ghosh.

Hornswoggler said...

Anon: why no name? PGW anyday yes

bluespriite said...

Yup, it's a ready-made reading list all right! :) Toggling between a short history of everything, bill bryson and Dastaan-e-humza (translation).

Hornswoggler said...

bluespriite: dastan e humza? googling now.

Anonymous said...

"Confessions of a Demented Housewife by Niamh Green."

There you go, total chicklit and lightweight!

~Another anon