Friday, January 13, 2006

Shucks! I wasn't aware that we were a country that still practiced 'sati--the custom of a widow throwing herself on her husband's funeral pyre'. Helpfully explained also. And here I am, terribly afraid of even the smallest burn. Going to temple to pray for husband's long life instantly. Strangely, I missed out on this bit of info before I got hitched or else would've insisted on a pre-nup. Even now, I can't recall a sati in my family or anyone else's (despite it being still practiced as Canadian freelancer, Mei-Yin Teo informs us) except for that sad instance of Roop Kanwar all those years ago, condemned by every sane (I said SANE, so don't argue about Roop Kanwar being glorified, revered, etc) person in the country.

I'm pissed. They call themselves an online travel resource just for women.? Don't they do their homework or check facts? Or are they content to stereotype, just because it is India?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still practice 'sati'! LOL, keep dreaming... My sisters are more prone to throwing their husbands into a ditch than to get on a lit pyre. Man, its hilarious that people still think India is all elephants and maharajas. Anyhow, let them think like that as long as they come here to spend their moolah...

Anonymous said...

It would be interesting to see what happens if she gets married to an Indian and he dies.

Manini said...

should check out there views about caste system.. seems to be the perpetual point of interest

Anonymous said...

I guess they have this preconceived notion in their mind about india.. She seems to be a well travelled person..

GratisGab said...

Yes, I've often been asked about this...sadly, the more horrifying the practice the lesser people care to check facts...the drama is irresistable I guess.

Chindu said...

Relax. Chill. Rock the baby. Quit thinking of Sati, of all things! :-)

... said...

sadly preconceived notion doesn't even begin to cover it!
...remember seeing a movie (think it was mars attacks) ...where aliens attack earth - and by earth of course i mean uncle sam land - and they show snippets of the 7 wonders of the world.. when the taj mahal was shown i was so stupified...my jaw dropped.. enough to accomodate boeing jet!
apparently we people currently are bare chested, wearing miniscule pieces of tattered cloth to cover our modesty - all of us resembling sheperds!
sati?!? ...horrendous as it was i would like for the world to let us forget that BLACK period of indian history..
that dude manu ought to have been _STRANGLED_ at birth!

... said...

whoops... didn't mean to get so twitchy... but both these topics really get my goat - the western world's total and complete ignorance about the india of today and things like _SATI_.

...hi :)