All of you I hope.
But there are children in my building who can't. Because as one of them told my friend, who along with few other people, is organizing an Independence Day function tomorrow, he kind of 'muttered it in school and his mom didn't know the entire lyrics either.'
The kid is probably nine or ten. Out of which he's lived abroad for about five six years. It's the mother I'm wondering about.
She'd be what, 33? 34? Maybe younger? In any case that's not an age when you usually start forgetting. And how do you forget the words of a song that you sung every morning in school, unless of course school was in some part of Manhattan? And for that matter, I know several people who've grown up very far away from India, who can sing the Anthem perfectly.
In this case, the mother grew up in Mumbai.
Leave aside patriotism. Just think simply. Isn't Jana Gana Mana embedded in her mind, like so many nursery rhymes, ABCD, multiplication tables, old ad jingles, basically things we grew up hearing and often singing along?
My friend, a very curious (and mischievous) person, couldn't contain herself and told the kids to tell their parents to write down the words of the National Anthem for them so that they could practice at home. One dad was honest enough to call her up and check whether it was Punjab, Hindu, Gujarat, Maratha? No, it's Sindh or Sindhu, she corrected him.
Thanks a lot he said. The wi-fi isn't working properly and the internet connection is pretty dicey these days.
11 comments:
Sad state of affairs. Isn't there something called national pride? Btw, try and find Ranjona Banerji's piece in last Sunday's DNA. Always happy to find like-minded people.
Subs
Oh that is so sad. Ask these people the latest plotline of a soap and they will remember. Idiots. It is called selective amnesia !
Hi,
Thought Provoking. Why dont you put the words of the National Anthem in here.
Great Post
SS
Subs: I actually found it very funny. Sorry yes, also funny. Just shows our internet dependence don't you think?
Poppin: Soap plotlines last forever na? Tabhi yaad rehta hai :)
SS: Hi and thank you. That's a good idea. Only will have to go back to blogger and edit and I'm too lazy for that. :)
my 4 year old daughter can sing the National Anthem - and she struggled to learn it all by herself - asking me for help on and off.
d
The last sentence had me in splits.
I also did a check, muttering the lines of the anthem under my breath - I think I passed. Phew!
D: :) That's very sweet
Parmanu: Yes when she told me what the father said it had me in splits too
Somuch for pop patriotism and development ...independence day has become a retail mela today ..great post
Absolute shame actually!
my first response was ...don't these ppl have google. ah! so they didn't have any internet that day. it's still no excuse for not knowing the Indian National Anthem. Thank God I know all the words.
am on a very patriotic beat ever since watching chak de :) you liked it?
backpakker: Thankoo thankoo
Anumita: You, traveller, you. Welcome back :)
Aqua: Haha...I loved that first response. God Gogle ki jai ho. No I haven't watched Chak De yet. First the monkey had flu, now it's my turn :(((
Post a Comment