Monday, July 27, 2009

If we were honest on Facebook/Orkut...


 

Here's how it really should be but how it really is.


 

You get friendship request from Sandhya M, the girl you are struggling to remember from your KV in the Orissa hinterlands. Of course you do not remember her even a little bit and do not have any problems in telling her so. Of course you cannot admit this to Sandhya and hurt her enthusiastic 'Remember me?' So here's how it goes.

Sandhya: Remember me? We were in school together, Kendriya Vidyalay, Xyz, class of 89, etc, etc.

Me: No. I'm sorry I don't remember you. (End of story. Wow) Of course I remember! Great to see you J (Secretly hope Sandhya leaves it at that).

Sandhya: That's great. I thought you may not remember. How's your brother? Is he still as naughty?

Mortified me: You remember I have a brother? How well did you know me really and how come I do not remember you then? He's er...rather grown up. Lives in Bombay. How are your brothers and sisters parents? (safer to write parents, everyone has them at some point after all).

Added to mollify inner guilty self: Your kids look adorable. (It's the truth. They do. Phew!)

Sandhya the Persistant: Oh the kids keep me busy blah blah blah...job in finance blah blah...gave up working after the kids blah blah...managing home and kids alone blah blah...hubby busy...Vice president blah blah...last holiday in Kenya...12 years of marriage blah blah...you remember him don't you? He used to be one class senior to us. Check out the album titled My World, you can see whether he still looks the same.

Mortified me retorts gives up: Oh God! Why should I? As if we are going to become great pals from this instant. Remember him? Maybe. Ok...let me check your pictures.

And what happens when you get back in touch with the guy who got your heart leaping into your mouth for eight whole months in school? Me and good friend Sangs get a request from Gautam the heartbreaker. Not his real name. But gives you the gist. We accept immediately of course, bitches that we are.

Gautam: Hey it's great seeing you girls again. And Rash I can't believe you are a mommy.

Me: Ditto Gautam. Can't believe you are a daddy either. And that you have a paunch and are stupid enough to post a picture of your pot belly jutting out of a swimming pool for public viewing.

Gautam: Saw your pictures. Cool. So where did you and your husband meet?

Me: You looked up my pictures, you sneaky $^%^%&. Wait till I look up all your pictures and call Sangs. Hmmm...I wonder why you wanted to know about my husband. Did you by any chance have a thing for me in school...nah...wouldn't have done. Look at what you've turned out to be. Gautam, we met in Bombay through common friends. Your pictures look like you are having fun with those two girls who could redefine the term cheapo. Won't be surprised if you turn out to be some shady automobile dealer from Ghaziabad at the time-of-your-life-conference in Goa. What do you do btw?

Gautam: I manage Ásia Pacific for xyz. In Delhi at the moment but will be shifting to Hong Kong later this year. Wife will stay back for the kids' school.

Me: Asia pacific head and all that huh? Well, there was something in you in school after all then considering you aren't the shady auto dealer I thought you were. Kids? Boys? Girls? Hey put some pictures of your family too.

Gautam: Hey my wife's picture is already there. She's on the left in that picture of all of us in the pool. The other one is a friend of ours. Will upload the kids' soon. Still figuring out this FB thing.

Me: That cheapo with the red lipstick overdose is your wife? She sure needs a tummy tuck. Serves you right. Oh is that her? She looks lovely. Great being in touch with you. Say hello to your wife. Have fun. Bye.


 


 


 


 


 

15 comments:

Saurav Chakraborty said...

hahahaha....rotfl...seriously,amazingpost.But Facebook in this case is much better.Too much sneaking is not possible there!

veenu said...

Excellent post ! Nice start to the weekend :)

Hornswoggler said...

Kya bol raha hai Saurav. Ask me and I shall tell you how to sneak

Veenu: Weekend? Tu theek hai na?

Anonymous said...

Brilliant. Truly, TRULY brilliant.

Kahini

Hornswoggler said...

Kahini: Hee hee. If only I could say all this...Thank you!

rupagulab said...

Wow! That was neat and very funny! Thank god I'm not on a social networling site!

Sonia said...

heh. sometimes i'm thankful orkut is banned here. that gives me an excuse to not answer these kinda people. And i just put a lot of people on FB on limited profile, so they can't check out my pics or anything else. :D (you might ask why i accept them as friends in the first place, but if they're your colleagues, what are you supposed to do??)

bluespriite said...

Vastly entertaining.. thank you. Reminds me why I don't go dredging up ghosts from the past on facebook. :)

colours said...

Lovely Lovely Lovely post - can I hide it from Parmanu please???

I have this person who has sent me a friend request and I did not accept, rejected once, got it again, followed by messages ... sigghhhh....

Anonymous said...

Rotfl, this is really funny and worthy of being in Blogadda Saturday or Tuesday Picks!!


But we also meet some long lost friends who are great fun to meet :)

Mama - Mia said...

no way am i gonna send ya a frandsheep request!! :p

super stuff woman!

cheers!

abha

Parmanu said...

Dilbert-ki-maa, could you please shine your wit on more such social trends? I cannot get enough of this.

And you know why Colours didn't want me to read this, don't you? With close to 400 friends she is on track to win FB's "Always online" contest. Our biggest fights are over the disproportionate influence this medium exerts on her.

Alpha said...

LOL, Rash...too funny! Now to go and find out who Sanjay Kumar is..the guy whom I had a crush on or the creep who threw chalk on me in class? Sadly both have same name.

Pallavi said...

LOL.. Thats why I try to use it very wisely.. at least am trying.. some of the people, I knew long back.. I accept and then because I prefer to be anonymous, I quietly delete them..
VIOLA !! end of my problem.. eee hee hee hee ..

SwB said...

So basically what you're saying is don't believe anything Rash says! :)