Cannot get myself to like Quentin Tarantino's movies (will be cold shouldered by brother for the rest of my life now). In my mind, they are all jumbled up in a profusion of profanities and guns. And the overdose of gore is a big turn-off. I never understood Reservoir Dogs (bunch of men abusing each other in warehouses and cars) and though I did sit through Pulp Fiction I think that was mainly because of Travolta and Thurman, both of whom I love. Managed to watch Kill Bill 2 up to the point where Thurman kills her former fellow assassin and tells the little daughter she'll have her chance of revenge later. Would've probably gone ooh and aah at such coldly sassy attitude earlier in life but by the time I watched the movie I was a mom and had started turning teary jelly at any suggestion of cruelty to kids in any movie.
Which brings me to the koshchen that who decides which movie is great and which isn't? Because what you like and dislike is so subjective. Remember queasily sitting through Clockwork Orange in my mass communications film class as the slightly unwashed documentary filmmaker taking the course gushed over it. Couldn't even close eyes halfway and pretend to watch all that blood and gore as had to dissect film after that. Your call that classic cinema? Yeah sure. Just like Tarantula's Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs is called one of the top independent cult films ever? Vat nonsense. At least in my world. Gimme In The Mood for Love or Rashomon or Breathless or Lost in Translation anyday over Tarantino's capers. At least they do not have psychotic men trying to cut each other's ears as justification of crazy plot that involves four different gangsters doing four different shootouts in a disco/warehouse/church all the while going f*#k, f*#k, f*#k, f*#k. My thoughts exactly. Yeah.
5 comments:
oh well! i like both kinda movies. i ofcos never thought i could love tarantino movies, bit fact is now i do and can watch em over and over again! even with the gore and violence!
but gimme a lost in translation anyday too! :)
cheers!
Guess what? I just don't get violent Tarantino movies either. Salil calls me a philistine, but I believe I'm just civilized! BTW, why are you watching 'The world's extreme toilets'? Kindly explain!
abha: many people do. the dialogues are good actually. if you cvan hear it through all those f words hehe
Rupa: I have a thing for toilets (let's hope no one will read these comments). And also because I have to postpone the work
Hmmm...
Didn't you, at any point, find the violence funny?
I'm a big Tarantino fan. It's all very subjective of course.
It'll be fun trying to convince you to like his movies. I wonder on whose side Bunny will be...
Parmanu: Won't be convinced. Quite sure of that. Abhor too much bhoilence post mummyhood. Dunno why
Post a Comment