Monday, June 07, 2004

Harry, What Else?

This isn’t a review. Just random thoughts about the latest film I HAD to see.
The best thing about Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban is Daniel Radcliffe. Finally.
Can finally forgive him for his irritating Good Boy act in the first and second Potter films. Here he looks 13 and behaves accordingly with all the mischief, meance and impishness that characterises the Harry JK Rowling wrote about, not the woodfaced, can’t-do-no-wrong-boy we saw in the first two movies. Here’s a boy who’s itching to do just the opposite of what he’s been told to. The film closes with an image of the Marauder’s Map and Harry’s voice: ‘I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.’ Loved it. I hope the next film continues in this spirit.
The other wonderful bits?
* Hogwarts has never looked better. It’s as magical as you imagine it and with a lot more of the outdoors thrown in. I loved the sloping, rocky way to Hagrid’s hut. Hogwarts also looks centuries old (which it’s supposed to be), with hints of dark corners lurking here and there. It’s a relief to see it like this, unlike the postcard-type castle in the last two movies. Any castle that houses snakes, ghosts and trolls has to look somewhat sinister.
* Harry’s ride on the Hippogriff, though he looked like he was going to slide off any moment.
* Hermione. The movie should be renamed Hermione Granger and How She Saved Buckbeak and Black. She storms out of a class, punches Malfoy, doesn’t like how her hair looks from behind, comforts Harry when he’s upset and gets him out of tricky situations. Love that girl. She also clutches Ron’s hand when scared and sobs on his shoulder. Hmm…
* BIG disappointment: Sirius Black. C’mon…this is the adult hero of the film (even if bumped off in book number 5). He’s the raking guy all women like. Gary Oldman isn’t what we imagined.
* Moment of Happiness While Watching The Film: Very loud laughs shared with 12-year-old sitting next to me. Turned out to be a complete Potter fan and we bonded over our extensive knowledge of spells and charms. Her mother smiled. A bit strangely at me I thought.
What is it about a book that makes devotees out of us all? I discovered Harry Potter on a holiday four years ago and like many people I know have been hooked ever since. I still think the films are no patch on Rowling’s imagination and the complexities and relationships she weaves for her characters. But this one comes close enough.


No comments: