Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What goes around...

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself

Philip Larkin, This Be The Verse


At one point in my reasonably well-guided youth, this was a favourite poem. It still is and I still believe it does contain a semblance of truth, however hard to digest. But now I find myself wondering, if this is how the beta will think 20 years on?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

COURSE he will.

Kahini

Hyde said...

What goes around, comes around. :-)

Hello K, how be you?

Pallavi said...

hey there.. how is your beta doing ?
Phew I am back after a long time.. am going to read all the posts that I have missed.. how has bangalore and motherhood been treating you ?

As for the poem.. well I guess parents are not perfect... and sometimes they are %^!$ up but more often than not they do try their best.. :)

Anonymous said...

God, I hope not. Or if he does, let him have un-fucked himself and learnt from your mistakes as you did(?) from yours...

minerva said...

I came across your blog a few days back and have read most of it by now. Loved whatever I read.
I started blogging very recently and posted something on parenting i am mom to a 14 month old) a few days back. So I can totally empathise with you :)

Alpha said...

sheesh, better stop posting this and making it accesible for Beta.

Anonymous said...

heehee...no i dont think so...this gen is super clever and super bratty to sit and sulk. i think larkin will have to write a new poem which will be abt us poor gen f*^^%% by previous gen and the next gen!! :-)

bips

phatichar said...

boy, o boy..

GratisGab said...

LOL. Oh man, now you have me wondering.