I spent an unusually long time at the beauty parlour (salon sounds too posh) yesterday and realised that mothers still accompany their daughters to 'supervise' the haircut. I saw at least four moms with their daughters. One pair was actually having fun getting head massages and manicures together and finally made me realise that Cosmo, Femina, Good Housekeeping and Elle weren't lying in all those perdicure bonding stories.
It's the other three I'm talking about. They stood behind the hairstylist watching how the work was being done. One had a deep, long discussion with the stylist before the process began, insisted that her daughter's hair was not be washed and then proceeded to park herself on the stylist's toe. Well, almost. I was getting a great head massage by now but could hear her instructions: Not so short, it's not equal there, etc. Wonder how the girl doing the job kept a cool head.
Most of the daughters looked at least 18. Made me wonder why did they need to come to the parlour under mom's watchful eye. Was mom scared that dotty dearest would go in for spiked, jagged edges and colour her hair purple? Or go the bald route?
Well, there's nothing in it probably but it did strike me as strange.
Also spotted in the parlour loo: flush used only for flushing
6 comments:
Esplain your also spotted article.
Kahini
The 18-year olds might be with brains of a 5-year old or something.
Subs
Can understand Mom and daughter going to the parlour together, but not the Mom dictating style!?
Some descendants of Hitler exist still, I guess. Feel sorry for such mothers' daughters, and even sorrier for their DILs!
Ps. And what IS with that loo? Makes me wonder what else you can do with a flush, other than flush?
Kahini: Am wondering too...so wotto esplain? :)
Subs: Kya pata!
JLT: You're right. Very hitlerish! And yes, racked my brain for possible flush related activities too :)
The reason for wanting company at the parlour is really simple. I can't see behind my own head till the haircut is over!
And I really don't want to find out that the hairdresser has chopped a year's worth of hair off while I had my head obediently bowed.
The Hitler attitude sometimes does get overdone, though.
Post a Comment