Saturday, January 10, 2009

Of Goa, Bombay and other random stuff...

So the entire month of December 2008 was spent travelling. Well almost the entire month if you discount the 3 or 4 days of interim breaks in Bangalore that were spent in visiting dentist, cleaning dirty dishes left by absconding maid, fixing a non absconding one, attending budday parties and doing other such exhausting stuff. We drove to Karwar and Goa and as soon as we crossed the Karnataka border, a friend called to ask where we were. 'Goa,' I said, rolling the windows down to smell the (truck infested) air. 'Again?' She shrieked, 'don't you guys have any imagination?' Our trip to Hampi in between elicited mostly positive responses (That part of Karnataka is a must do, said one 'doer') but when we landed up in Bombay at the end of the year, most people laughed. 'You've actually wasted four precious days to holiday in Bombay!' the husband heard. I'm of course spared as I do not 'work.'
Who wouldn't love exploring new places on a holiday? Especially say a place like Hampi where we climbed several hills and stairs with a child perpetually attached to our backs. Ok joking, he was permanently attached but we loved the place, though it isn't exactly a holiday for a three year old. Going to Goa is like visiting an old friend. You know exactly what to expect. There's fun in that too isn't it? Like lounging on the sunbed the entire morning as your child is babysat by the sand and a few buckets; ordering the same prawn rechado and fish curry at the same shack everyday; going sick hearing your husband say he plans to paraglide, jet ski and do everything Akshay Kumar can since the beginning of the holiday (Yes Rupa, it's a middle aged male disease) and knowing that by the time you get back exhausted thanks to all those Kings and Belos in the afternoon or evening, the bed would be made and the bathroom would be clean :D. As for Bombay....for me that's a happy story forever.

The random stuff
* Why on earth is Ghajini the name of the movie? I mean the villain is hardly iconic...I could have understood Sholay being named after Gabbar Singh but this one is sheer stupid.
* And shirtless Aamir doesn't work for me at all. It's conditioning I guess. After all these years, the only shirtless 40 plus Bollywooder I can still tolerate is Salman Khan.
* Luw Dev Patel of Slumdog Millionaire. Terribly young yes, but that's how they all are these days. Except me :(

16 comments:

SwB said...

awww don't say that Rash, especially when you got so many of us "oldies" for company :)

Sanjana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sonia said...

why do i hear so many complaining about age even though they have the most satisfying lives?!

I know someone who's traveled to so many places around the world that he's lost count of the actual number. He's 32, and he laments about being OLD all the time.

If you're having a good time, it shouldn't matter na?

Anonymous said...

Age is just a number, feeling old is in the mind! :-D

--Hyde

Vaishali said...

Goa is goa is goa. I miss it. Wish there was a Goa in Australia. Do they sell I 'dil shape' Goa T shirts yet? I'll sure wear one.

Dev Patel - when I found out that was his name at the end of the movie, I was like 'what!! gujju male and so good.' ha ha..

Don't feel like wasting time on Ghajini. Being presumptuous I suppose.

Hornswoggler said...

Swb: No wonder we read each other ha ha

Sonia: And how old...oops young are you my dear? Ok, jokes apart do agree with what you say.

Hyde: Totally. Look at Dev Anand.

Vaishali: Yes they still sell those. And also the 'It's better in Goa' ones. Had the same reaction to Dev Patel name. Don't watch Ghajini. Can't believe Aamir did this to himself!

Hyde said...

lol, true. Very true. Just look at him!

Anonymous said...

Hugs. Just like that.

Subs

Mama - Mia said...

i dunno why anyone should bother about where others are holidaying! i mean who cares?!

and me came back from Bombay too and fell in love all over again!

and yeah, Ghajini sucks! Aamir was the only thing that didnt let that movie look totally B-grade 80's movie that it actually was! :p

still to catch slumdog millionaire!

cheers!

abha

Lakshmi said...

lucky you..the amount of travelling u did .:) loved hampi pics and got to watch Slumdog Millionaire..and Ive grown old too

Sonia said...

I'm 27. keralite. single. living alone. my mum's worst nightmare! :P

Anonymous said...

"Don't you guys have any imagination?" - interesting question, because it takes more imagination to find new things in the same old places. Or to relish doing old things at old places!

"Middle-aged male disease"? You mean he was different earlier?!!

Hornswoggler said...

Hyde: So do you have THE haircut too?

Subs: :)

Abha: Fell in lurrve with Bombay or the husband? :-p

Lakshmi: Travelling? Look who's talking!

Sonia: 27. single. living alone...*slunk off to howl*

Parmanu: Ha ha. Well not very different but at least he didn't keep harping about doing stunts

Anonymous said...

My conditioning seems worse than yours - I cannot tolerate even Salman Khan.

Sounds like you had an idyllic holiday... We just stayed at home in Walldorf (dorf means village and it is exactly that) and all our friends gave us dirty looks.

rupagulab said...

Yup, it's male menopause, Rash. The older they get, the more dangerously they want to live. Too bad they don;t have the option of HRT- too bad for us, I mean!

Sonia said...

*grin* yeah, I am enjoying it!