Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Mashed eggs with pasta and other delicacies
I'm the queen of leftover breakfasts. Ask Kahini and she will tell you of wonderful mornings of being hungover in Haryana and battling it with a great and greasy breakfast of leftover biryani and eggs fried in a few strips of fatty bacon. If you just went yuck this post is not for you so don't tell me I didn't warn. These days I do end up making a proper breakfast for the husband and the child. Now before you get any vision of a BBC Good Homes style colour coordinated table with a bread basket, Good Earth porridge bowls and gleaming cutlery, let me tell you that in my house 'proper breakfast' translates into one kadai of Poha/vermicelli upma/pasta plonked on the dining table with accompanying yells like 'Add some salt to the poha/take the bread out of the toaster' etc,. But still it's food that is good enough to go but would you find me eating it once the boys have gone and I have the house to myself? Never. I cannot eat a straightforward breakfast. I need to make it complicated. So the Poha would have some aloo bhujia thrown in and if I have energy left to throw it back in the kadai and toss it with some puliogare powder nothing like it. My absolute favorites tho are Mashed eggs with pasta and Moong dal with prawn balchao. For the first one you need a bowl of pasta and one boiled egg left unfinished by a three year old. This three year old part is very important because only then will it have the right consistency of being pricked with a fork a hundred times over and doused with sticky, sweet ketchup. Dunk this mashed concoction (carefully taking off the extra ketchup with a spoon)in a pan with a nice dollop of butter (I believe in good health) and press it all further with a potato masher. Add some water and let it simmer till you have something that looks unfit for human consumption. If you have Oregano left over from Domino's Pizza delivery add that. It's yum. My current fave though is Moong dal salad. No not the sprouted version. I run mile away from them. This is basically moong dal soaked overnight and then sauteed with jeera and hing and mixed with cucumber, tomatoes, chopped onions, etc. That of course is the husband version. Mine gets dried prawn balchao (available at the Koramangala Fabindia) and loads of green chillies thrown in for good measure. Simply divine. My heart will possibly not agree few years later but hey, as long as it gives me a good start to the day, who cares!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
wow...and i have just cornflakes with some fruits
laksh: sigh....wish I could have that...but froot and me do not mix :(
since i'm usually late for everything, in the mornings i just stop at one of the convenience stores by the petrol stations (we call em ENOCS here) to get a zaatar croissant and some OJ. Most ENOCs are the same. But the other day i went to a new ENOC where they had these amaaaaaazing chicken salsa wraps with jalepenos in them which they grill and give you. heaaaaaven!
I'm with you! I cannot eat normal stuff. I have been laughed at, scoffed at, shouted out but i cannot conform. i would die with boredom.
Sonia: Wot's a zaatar croissant? Please to educate
Rupa: Completely!
How I miss those brekkers! Sigh.
These days, I just finish leftovers.
Kahini
*grin*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Za'atar
Big Grin.
Subs
Scenario: Cousin-in-law visiting with family. All of us sitting around bread, frozen butter since I forgot to keep it out early enough, half a bottle of orange juice, no water, no milk left in the house.
Husband's icebreaker question seeing the downfallen face of CILs visiting after 2 weeks of Europe trip "What do you eat for breakfast back home? You probably get some nice dosai or something".
Post a Comment