Just finished watching Revolutionary Road. Fabulous, immaculate and disturbing, everything about it. Don't miss.
**********************************************************************************
'Ány vices?'asked the doctor.
'Depends on what you mean by vice,' I snapped, wishing for a moment I could add smoking to the vice list that included drinking. What else should we add when faced with questions like these? White lies, jealousy, judgemental...?
Questions like these always throw me off balance. They make me wonder how an educated person could think these up with a straight face. This is the second doctor to ask me the vice question and it always surprises me how casually it is asked. To me, it implies that the good doctor already has some assumptions deep-rooted way inside her mind when it comes to the word. I once gambled in Goa, I'm tempted to reply. Does it count as vice as the thrill of winning/losing huge amounts of money probably played yo-yo with my blood pressure? Sadly, such people usually do not possess a sense of humour and my deep and searching questions just stay where they are. Inside. The vice question however, rates way up there when it comes to the weird questions list. 'What's your caste?' being the other all time favourite.
9 comments:
Oh... what vices can one have? Wikipedia meaning of Kaliyug - age of vices! We are even justified!
Uh... I threw some wine and fish away - does this count for the vice?
Oooh, how I wish you'd said gambling! It definitely would have thrown your doc- perhaps even made her see the error of her ways. Or, at the very least, her poor command over the language.
i hate the what's your caste question. I was once asked that during an interview and i was so shocked! Of course, i didn't take up the job.
Loved Revolutionary Road - intense and disturbing. And I think she should have got an Oscar for this performance, not The Reader.
The vice question is a bit shocking and, after putting some distance to it, very funny. Did you figure out the intent behind it?
Colours: Ha ha. Let's make a list :)
Rupa: Or lying through my teeth. Will send her Lynn Truss for the language
Sonia: Look at it this way, caste IS a big vice :-p
Parmanu: Yes I agree about the Oscar. She was amazing in the movie. Never figured out the vice question. Maybe it's part of standard patient questions in as Rupa says bad language. who knows!
:) If the "vice" question was in relation to a health check, I heard an even weirder one recently.
"Any habits??" said with raised eyebrows. I was tempted to reply.."umm, yeah, I brush my teeth twice daily"
-the namesake
My vice is I have a bad temper and I cant tolerate such doctors..
Ok, so tell me now. What are you caste-wise?
--Hyde
A complete outcast(e)? :-p
Post a Comment