Sunday, October 25, 2009

You still have the Zen?

The question threw me off balance. It was after all loaded with surprise, unsaid hints and expectation. The hint was to provide them with an explanation as to why, like most of our friends, acquaintances and social circle, we han't traded our old car for something better and obviously, bigger. The expectation was that we should have. After all, if we could dine at the Blue Ginger* and visit Umrika on holiday, the least we could do was to get ourselves a big car, couldn't we?

Nothing probably highlights aspiration levels in our society as the transition from the small to the big car. It's seen as a step towards being upper class, from small fry to higher-mid if not top management. And it's a great thing, really. Just that it may not be the top agenda on everyone's list of the moment, simply because other people feel it can catapult you into a social higher-up.

But because most people believe they need to cast you into some social slot, the car question is mandatory to ask. During a school run, I ask one of the mums living nearby if I could offer her a lift as her car has broken down. "Thanks," she says, sliding into the seat, "How does your husband commute to work? Does he take the other car?"
"This is our only car," I tell her. "Oh," she says before telling me a sweet story about her dad's Maruti she learnt to drive around in and culminating in "sent it to his dad in Delhi after we bought the (Honda) City."

Subtlety is the name of the game here. "Could you drop R home after they finish playing please? My husband's taken the other car and the Corolla has gone for servicing," says the voice on the phone. Perhaps I'm reading more than what's required into it, but I love the way the 'Corolla' is mentioned and not the other car, which being an Alto, probably doesn't cut the size limit.

Of course, as my dear husband, who's oblivious to all these innuendos (and thinks only I can hear them) believes, I could be horribly, horribly wrong and people may just be mentioning matter of fact things. But some things are a given nowadays if you need to maintain status in the society. A big car is one. And a blackberry that you need to keep checking assiduously throughout dinner with friends, whether you have emails or not is the other. And, as Parmanu mentions in his wonderful post, an apartment complex with a swimming pool is another.

* Only once in a blue moon by the way :)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite amazing how people can be so flaky.

And well-written once again!

Subs

rupagulab said...

I'm so with you on this! I find people who are status conscious horribly creepy, sort of like cocokroaches with hairy legs. Besides, small cars are easier to park!

Sonia said...

I used to drive a rental for almost a year and every chance i got i'd mention that the car (a yaris) was a rented one, even though i really liked the car (it was small and zippy and i had a lot of good memories connected to it!). it's just that i'm surrounded by people with hummers and FJ cruisers and mercs and stuff. It's not easy when you're friends are a lot richer than you are! Not that they cared, they're good people. I guess it was just me. :o(

Pallavi said...

Thats a good car..

I have questions asked on my Bolero all the while.. when I "upgraded" I still bought another Bolero.. So well.. people asked.. why. ??
Why that Khatara..

TO each his own.. big and small is very relative I guess... :)

Whats comfort for you.. is good for you..

Anonymous said...

And the question I get is "You still have the Splendor?" while trying not to ask "Why do you bring it to work instead of the Enfield?"

I say "Cost-cutting" and add "Easier to maneouvre in traffic". :-D

It's the same with cars, innit?

--Hyde

Hornswoggler said...

Subs: Oh Bangalore is still much better compared to delhi! And thankoo

Rupa: If I wasn't utterly scared of driving I'd happily go for a Reva, the smallest possible car in India :)

Sonia: Y'know big cars as extremely useful for long drives and esp for those with little kids who love messing up the seats. Just that they shouldn't be considered mandatory!

Pallavi: You and the Bolero somehow gel very well together, from the little I have seen that is :D

Hyde: I er...just googled to see wot the Splendor looked like, given my vast knowledge of bikes. Enfield yam knowing.

Mama - Mia said...

:D

tell me about it! we still go around in our second hand 800! :p

but yes, we shall buy a new car on these days because this one is on its way out! but other than that i am totally cool. the fuel efficiency is a dream really!

cheers!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a car and love drawing up to 5-star hotels (when the boss is in town) in a dinky little auto. Ideally, a disco auto.

Kahini

Sonia said...

definitely! big cars make sense in a place like dxb too, everyone drives a lot faster here so you're safer in a bigger stronger car. I love driving, going on road trips etc! i bought a relatively small car in july that i'm totally happy with and proud of! :D It depends on your requirement really! And the yaris and i... our personalities just didn't match, if you know what i mean. It's like if your hubby chose the colour of your wall and u didn't like it, you'd want everyone to know that it wasn't YOUR choice na!

I've cut short this comment a LOT, don't get me started on cars! *grin*

Hornswoggler said...

Mama Mia: Hush darling, now shouldn't say such things aloud you know. :D

Kahini: You my dear are in a league of your own. Just like ze dishco auto. I so miss them in Bangalore

Sonia: Go ahead and comment. I don't drive and zone out at car talk to will probably doze off :)

Anonymous said...

:-) the dalli attitude is taking over!! the other day i met an aunty who subtly told me about how she asked her daughter to carry the 'pashmina shawl' and how her other daughter doesnt like wearning anything fancy except diamond earrings.

bips

the mad momma said...

gawd.. you still blog at blogspot? cant you afford your own url? *snigger*

Btw - blue ginger Finally opened up in Delhi and it is awesome.

Hornswoggler said...

Bips: That's the time you announce your Himalayan trips and watch the blank faces. They might even ask you if Himalayas is a 'jwallurr.'

MM: Ek din mein teen teen? Yes BG is seriously awesome. Pity I do not have night babysitting