I'm sorry, says the silk smooth voice, but I do not like being interviewed on the phone.
I understand. Many people don't and hey if it involves their life story, even I'd rather they share it with me face to face. But this one involves a general comment on the art scene in Bangalore. Because I work in isolation from home, I love meeting people usually but if the quote involved requires 15 minutes and doesn't require me to see something that person has created or is working on, I don't mind speaking on the phone either.
But this one seems insistent. We could meet, I say and ask her for a convenient location.
She gives me the address to her studio (she's an artist) and I do a double take.
It's in Mysore.
I have spent the last five minutes explaining to her that I'm writing this article for a local website and therefore focusing only on Bangalore based people. Perhaps she has misunderstood, perhaps she works in Mysore but lives in Bangalore. I tell her we could talk but it has to be the phone as I would be unable to get on a bus/car or vehicle of any form and get myself to Bangalore any time this week. She repeats her displeasure. I tell her I could read out every word of what she has said if she fears being misquoted.
Can you mail me a copy of the article before it's published? She asks. Sorry not possible, I say as politely as I can, trying to smile so that my voice doesn't convey the irritation I feel. Well I would need to think about it, she says, starting a diatribe about being misquoted by two newspapers and talking to a journalist for an article that never appeared. Then she asks me how many years of experience do I have and if I have written for anybody before. All for a quote that will stretch to four, maybe six lines and take 10-15 minutes.
I lose the Zen like voice just at that moment and curtly tell her thank you but perhaps I shall avoid interviewing her for the article this time. Half an hour later I get an email from her.
Would I please mail her the questions?
Nice, when attitude works. J
5 comments:
Funny, how a famous bank, whom I had been immensely patient with for the last 2 months, got their act together in 2 hours when I shouted and abused them.
Subs
Please do NOT interview her.
Asshole.
Kahini
Hah! So she wasn't that cool after all!
:-/
recently spoke to someone and did a brilliant story on them. she calls back the PR and wants to know why I didnt write MORE complimentary things about her. where do people get off with this sense of entitlement. I was interviewing her - not advertising!
Subs: Am wondering why we don't name the banks or the people. Just an evil thought ;-p
Kahini: Of course I haven't. My journo bhaliuu shystem is bhery strong
Rupa: Cool? Hmmm...you are famous type of person and therefore on other side of the frame aren't you?
MM: Haha. Many weirdos nowadays think interview=advertising+pr.
Post a Comment