Monday, March 22, 2004

Howzzat!

Things a man should remember while watching cricket:

There are other channels on television apart from Ten Sports or DD when the cable goes off. I may not be a regular watcher of Jassi, Tim Sebastian or VJ Anusha but I like to watch them and the others once a while. So go ahead, watch the match but why subject me to re-runs, award ceremonies, post-match analysis and discussions? Unless of course, it features Imran Khan.

Cricket does not equal food. If it does, fix yourself a snack before you plonk in front of the television. Don’t ever repeat: 'Er…Kaif’s taken a brilliant catch, could you heat some kebabs? And while you are at it, fix me a mug of cold beer?'

In keeping with the above, cricket does not mean a messy room. Cushions, ashtrays and popcorn don’t have to be tossed in the air because Yuvraj’s hit a ‘brilliant’ six. Who does the cleaning up? His mom?

There is more to meaningful conversation than a running commentary on the day’s match.

I am a woman. A straight one. The kind that knows a good piece of work when she sees one. Just because I think Rahul Dravid is neat does not mean that I am trivializing the game.

And calling Shoaib Akhtar superfast does not mean I’m supporting Pakistan either.

Finally, I’m not a jinx. If Indian wickets don’t stand when I’m around, it’s their fault not mine. It doesn’t mean I stay locked up in the loo or the bedroom. Ever!

2 comments:

Just Like That said...

Hi! Am also from b'lore and I missed out on seeing you at the B'lore meet.

Just found you again, liked all I read, am linking to you. Hope you don't mind.

Just Like That said...

LOL at the jinx bit. Mine says that to me too sometimes, and receives a glowering look from me.