Saturday, May 01, 2004

Main Hoon Na. Filmi. Very Filmi

Nope. This ain’t a review. All I will say is that movie is worth a watch because you will laugh. A lot. Sometimes at Farah Khan, the director, for being silly and sometimes, at Farah Khan the director for being genuinely funny. I would like to remember the fun. Because look close and this movie had the potential to be a Bollywood buff’s delight if only the main plot wasn’t so ridiculous. Here’s the filmi part:

* Shah Rukh Khan is the product of Naseeruddin Shah’s affair with another woman. Naseer’s wife doesn’t like the kid and wants him to leave. Masoom, hmmm…

* The names. The brothers are called Ram Prasad Sharma and Laxman Prasad Sharma alias Lucky. Remember Amol Palekar in Golmaal?

* Shah Rukh goes to watch Sholay with the college kids, averts an attack and chases the killers in a cyclerickshaw, named, guess what…Dhanno!

* Everytime Shah Rukh spots Sushmita Sen, he breaks into a song. All those Rishi Kapoor type numbers from Nasir Husain films. Loved it!

* The Qawwali, it’s colourful, catchy and a vastly modified take on the ‘Hum Kisise Ka Nahin’ qawwalis of yesteryears.

* The heroine is drenched under the waterfall, and thank God, finally, so is the hero!

* Shah Rukh Khan’s army avatar keeps repeating ‘Koi Shaq?’ Maybe this wasn’t intended but I do remember him repeating that line in Fauji, the first time the man ever appeared before us.

And there must be lots more. This is all I can remember. Your additions, provided you are as hopelessly filmi as I am, are welcome. J

No comments: