Thursday, May 06, 2004

Prawn Vs Paneer

My cousin L, a nice, sweet Bong boy, eleven months younger than I am, is in love. With a ‘vegetarian’ girl, as I have been informed by my aunt, a nice, sweet and extremely Bong woman. She isn’t bothered by mundane facts about the girl’s complexion (wheatish, what else, jokes the cousin), her ‘caste’ or even her slightly tomboyish behaviour (Treks and bikes. Love her already!).
What my aunt is bothered about is that the girl doesn’t eat mangsho (meat) or maach (fish). ‘What am I to cook at home when she comes?’ she wailed into the phone last night, while my cousin chuckled behind.
I haven’t stopped laughing. In my case it was a non-vegetarian coming to live with a vegetarian family. It had some people from both sides in a state of convulsion. The veggies wondered if I would come home from shopping dangling live chickens over my shoulder (Ok. This is extreme. But some did make very rude comments) and the fleshies wondered if I would survive the green revolution or starve to death, and so on...
Shall never understand what drives people to such extreme reactions when it comes to the Veg Vs Non Veg issue. Well, I have survived (singalong!) pretty well, haven't I? So will the 'vegetarian' bikergirl. Now if only someone would pacify my aunt!

No comments: