I’d forwarded the tsunamihelp website to some friends and acquaintances when one of them wrote back saying 'Have already donated 10k. But will forward this one.'
It irked me immensely. It always does, when people declare 'how much' they have done or contributed to something. It makes me feel that they are not doing this because they genuinely feel for the cause but because it is a way to make themselves feel good and make others think how noble/selfless/concerned they are.
Perhaps mine is a very cynical and myopic way of looking at it. And I could be far off the mark. But I can't help being a skeptic. Vivek Oberoi rushing off to Nagapattinam and adopting a village does impress me but I invariably wonder how much of it is work he is actually doing and how much is publicity? Yes, I know I shouldn't be doubting the guy. At least, he's there. There are so many of us just saying 'wish we could be there' and sitting stuck to our chairs instead. And stars would perhaps motivate others to join in or donate. Therefore it is a good thing that there are many coming forward both from hollywood and bollywood. But is it necessary to mention in the newspapers how much they've donated? Is the amount a reflection of their sincereity?
Perhaps I'm very conservative. I still believe that people who actually do something do not advertise it. I feel that if you can make a difference (by giving money/volunteering/whatever) make it in whatever way possible, big or small. Make it within your means and keep quiet. Unlike a lot of talk happening around. You frequently hear people saying 'I donated xx amount.' We don't need to know do we?
No comments:
Post a Comment