“It’s the Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston syndrome we are going through,” my friend laughed into the phone. “He wants babies, I don’t. I almost feel like a celeb!”
I laughed along with her, at that moment it seemed the only way to handle the situation.
It goes deeper than that. My friend wants to go for further studies. Doesn’t mind having children at some point in life if she feels like but not now. Not when she is at what she feels is the most exciting time in her career. An opportunity to let go of a well paying job and spend a year or two studying overseas.
The world thinks differently. It includes her husband, also a friend of mine. They’ve been each other’s rock-like support and guide through the best and worst times of their personal and professional lives. They’ve stayed together despite seemingly obvious differences in background and mindset. Until now. To my friend’s husband, her reluctance to have a child now equals a lack of interest on her part in their relationship, in the future.
She thinks he’s being drastic. Honestly, I think so too, which is why I’m writing this. And what hurts her the most is his refusal to accept that she might genuinely want to have a child although not now, that she might really want the relationship to continue but not because of a compromise.
We talk pretty often, even though we don’t end up meeting much. I don’t know what to say, I listen, because that’s what she wants me to.
It also strikes me that this is not my only friend who’s going through a rough patch in her relationship. I look at these relationships from an outsider’s point of view and to me it looks like a jigsaw puzzle gone wrong. Perhaps all it requires is some concentrated attention, some shifting here and there, before it all fits in. But life is more complicated than that I suppose.
No comments:
Post a Comment