After years of going to work on Sundays, holidays and other unmentionable days when friends are planning mini vacations or plotting picnics while I travel miles to sub copies on warts and pimples, I finally have the luxury of a two-day weekend. For the sake of all those unfortunate souls who do not have this privilege (Now, why do I smirk?), I have to say that it is an awesome, mind-blowing experience. To an extent.
Here’s how it’s been going so far:
I wake up on Saturday at the usual workday hour.
Realise with a bang in big, bold fonts that it’s a holiday. HOLIDAY!!!!!!
I promptly show the clock the finger, dive back inside the quilt and get back to sleep.
Pause
I try to get back to sleep. With one small hitch. Sleep has also gone back on me. I toss and turn, count sheep and try to think of nothing (which means I think of everything, including my neighbour’s acne problem). And I can't sleep.
I can’t wake up at seven either! Haven’t I endured endless Saturday mornings struggling to pull myself up from the bed while most of the world (the civilized working world at least) sleeps, especially the snoring bundle next to me? Haven’t I stifled four-lettered retorts when friends have called and announced in their just-out-of-bed voice: ‘Ohhhh myyyy Gawd...(Yawn)...You’re aaaattt work! Gosh...(Yawn)...ok dear...so I guess you're working...(yawn)...I
just woke up!’
Ugh!
So how can I wake up THAT early?
Just to punish me sleep has a way of staying away when I need it the most. Therefore, in a resigned state of mind, I get up (ignoring the snoring bundle), bring in the newspapers, make a cup of chai and put my feet up and sit.
That’s when it really hits! I DON'T HAVE TO GET READY IN HALF AN HOUR. NO WORK TODAY! YIPEEE!!!
As a former six-day-week slave, this mindblowing fact takes me the entire day to digest. During this time, the snoring bundle has woken up, had his chai, bathed, exercised, met friends, gone out for lunch, shopped for CDs and DVDs, watched a lot of television, driven around half the city and drunk himself silly.
He's always been a privileged five-day week type, they take such luxuries in their stride.
I, on the other hand, am still slouched and zombie like. There is a different one liner running in my mind: CAN'T BELIEVE TOMORROW IS A HOLIDAY TOO!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment