Am feeling a bit low, so I call S in Mumbai late at night for a pick-me-up chat.
'OHMIGOD! Boy or girl?!!!!!' S screams into the phone.
'None. The baby's still inside. I called to just talk.'
'Oh...and there I thought...' S sounds like a punctured balloon, before adding, 'listen am at a party. Will call you later.'
Humph! So much for 4 am friends!
Take it from me. Week 40 breathing down your neck is the worse wait of the nine month narrative. Worse than waiting in the line at State Bank of India. Worse than waiting to pay the MTNL bill on the last day. Worse than being 43rd in line at the slow moving check in counter of Air Deccan.
Babycentre, my online bible is asking me to be patient. 'Only 5% of babies are born on their exact due date. Why not practice breathing and relaxation techniques while you're waiting?'
Yes darlings. And why not learn the salsa while I'm at it? I wouldn't be writing this, if I were that relaxed, would I? Why can't I be part of that percentage of women who have babies ahead of schedule? According to mother, all the women in my family belong to that lucky percentage. Except me of course. Don't think it'll arrive anytime soon.
'Read it nice children's books,' says Kahini, when I call her to whine. This is supposed to make baby feel wonderfully excited about the world and make it come out faster. Kahini, if this works, you shall patent this idea, make money and sponsor me at Toto's for life as your first experiment. You're lucky I do not know the names of fancy lounge bars. Am off to Crossword tomorrow to buy books. Send list.
The advice keeps pouring in. By now I'm confused about what they're meant for.
'Play relaxing Western classical music'
'Run your hands over your tummy a lot'
'Sweep the floor. See how phatak se all our maids have babies?'
'Go for regular walks.'
'Go dancing!'
'Have sex.'
'Freeze on the name. You have? Refreeze.'
'Sleep as much as you can.'
I hang up in exasperation and decide to be calm, poised and patient. Have no idea why everyone starts wondering and muttering if you haven't had the baby by the time you've hit 40 weeks. Don't want to make baby feel I'm impatient mother and come out in a hurry. That way would be setting bad precedent for its entire life. And I do not wish to be affected by people. Especially by glam women with washboard abs at restaurant reception desks who tend to ask, 'so how long?'
P calls. He's heard from Mr T whom we met at Lamaze Class. Mrs T had baby girl. One whole week before D date.
I call to congratulate Mrs T. 'You haven't had the baby yet?' she is most surprised, 'What did the doc say? How much more time?'
Ugh ugh ugh.
21 comments:
I was born 5 days ahead. I don't know why, but I do know that I have always been impatient. :-D
Awww Sweets .. hang on there.. I am sure you are excited... as well as the baby.. he or she will come out when it is time.. no more no less.. :) all the best,... and waiting to hear the good news... will pray that it gets over quickly...
YOU wanted this child. Whyphor you mad at US?
Baby blues? My friend impatiently went through the same till she delivered last month. Now she's wondering whether she was better off before baby was born or now! So...
ahhh!! sorryyy...and that day i added to that...!! :-)
bips
Sorry for today's question!
shamefaced
sounds like my story! the baby didnt come out till 40 weeks...they tried to induce me...finally c-sec
Uh... Just before I came to your blog I asked Parmanu : When is Rash's baby due? Good thing that you are asleep now and I do not have your telephone number. Else the question would have been to you ;).
hyde: am super impatient too. ditto case.
pallavi: Thankee. Oh yes am v excited. it's just impatience kicking in :)
Kahini: Oi. Am not mad at you. Giving u biz idea to get rich.
Anumita: Hmmm..hmmmm...hmmmm...
Bips/Inky: Evil Grin. Never mind ;)
Anon: Well I shall hope for the best (and the most painless)
Colours: Evil Grin Part 2
Supercool blog, Rash. I Know my sis went through the same, so all the BEST. HOpe the next blog from you has the Photo of the lil' one. Take care
aww...so cute! now don't shoot me for having said that.....
hang in there baby, and take your time! (that's for the baby, not you!) :p
*making sympathetic noises* I know from experience (hasten to clarify, my sister's!) how miserable the last wait can be.
The 'maid strategy' is hilarious. Wipe the floor indeed!
shub: nope won't shoot. remember am being poised, calm type?
Lee: thank u for the noises. and off to get the mop and bucket now.
prasanth: Thank you. Dunno about the photos but you'll surely hear the tales :)
Hello Lady, I won't say I can understand how you must be feeling but somehow it was quite touching. My father was a father to me when he was my age.. hmm Mujhme bhi Baamta jaag utha..Lol.. I am just thinking how your husband must be feeling. I know its common to all women, but lady you are bringing a Life onto earth. Cheers, and hey all I could say at this time Hang On...
yeah...i was tired of ppl saying..."hiii...oh ..y're still pregnant". wanted to hit them on their heads...
i would say read a lot coz y wont get the time to do so once bundle of sleepless nights appears :)
Ah! You poor thing! I hope it gets better soon.
First time on your blog. Seeing the name 'hornswoggle', I'm thinking you are a friends fan. I'm the biggest friends fan there is. Come to my blog and read the 3 posts I have so far on them. Maybe when you laugh too much reading them, your baby will come. :)
Have you watched that episode 'the one where Rachel is late'? They have some pretty good tips there. :) Good luck!
TF: Welcome here :) I am a HUUUUUUUUUUGE Friends fan. But this 'hornswoggle' comes from Georgette Heyer.
Anthony: You're making me feel like Mother India. Anytime now I'll start singing Nargis style.
Aqua: Yep...yu know the feeling na. But am enjoying the look on people's faces (at the same time suppressing desire to hit them over the head with a club)
lol
Baby, how ARE you doing? Any action since this post on that front? Tell me it gone and done already and you have a chubby baby in your arms as you read this.
Hang in there!
so much for baby talk :D maybe the mahabharata advice of womb-teaching chakravyuh is the only on that remains... and btw, 'how much more time...' :)
Post a Comment