Sunday, November 06, 2005

The bhadroloks at Bengalimatrimony.com are trying very hard to achieve what my parents couldn’t. Marry me off to a good Bong boy. Trivial details like the fact that I’m married and about to produce a child with that man do not bother them, even after I’ve sent an email to inform them of this mildly preventive fact.
I’ve also pointed out that I never registered with them in the first place; else I’d have done so with my real name. Certainly not as Rani, as they insist on addressing me. If I had to register with a false name I’d have gone for something exotic like Zarmaine or Finnouala or Caramia. Certainly not something as common as Rani. Even though she is Bong, actress and therefore supposed to have high recall value in the minds of us Bongs.
Despite these glitches the more I get spammed (6 emails so far) by the bhadraloks the more I see what I missed out on. The chance to meet a nice brainy boy called Shomshubhro or Bishwopriyo, with wheatish complexion, a collection of Panjabis (kurta in Bongspeak) gifted by mashis during Pujo, and a degree from top US University or at least from IIT. And of course a mother. We Bong girls do not look for anything less than that.
Blame it all on my folks. They didn’t exactly lead me in the right direction and point out the advantages of a Bong-Bong match. I was let loose to look in all the wrong places and landed up with a kalchaarless fellow who is laughing at the bhadralok’s persistence and is asking me to look for something called Jainmatrimony which will provide him with options as well. Bengalimatrimony ne meri ankhen khol di. Bas thodi der se.

PS: My sincerest apologies if your name happens to be Shomshubhro or Bishwopriyo. Or even Zarmaine, Finnouala, Caramia and Rani.

11 comments:

Hyde said...

My name is none of these. So I am not going to take offence.

Of late, I have included matrimony-site watching as a hobby. To see what is there and wonder if I am missing anything! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Very very funny!!

Admin said...

After the why I will neva be rich post, this is another extremely hilarious post..

Subramaniam Avinash said...

I know what you mean. I'm not married and I still find the reminder emails and the plugs most strange. Makes me wonder how many of these people on the site, and damn fine women too, are for real? I mean why would someone so good looking be stuck advertising on a website to get married? Talented too. (Just in case someone thinks looks are all I care about.) Great post. wish I'd written it.

Anonymous said...

hahahah !! poor you !!

Anonymous said...

You really wanted a name like Finnouala??

Oh dear, what will you inflict on your little one? Very worried now :)

Anonymous said...

Came back to say, enjoyed reading your post.

Hornswoggler said...

Lee: I have some complicated Armenian, Nordic, Celtic names in mind. And of course Sanskrit and Bong ;-p. And thank you :)

Anahita: I can imagine. Poor BIL. Is the ban for real? :)

Pallavi: Hey! How u bikergirl?

The Daily Unusual: Many of them are for real. I guess if it works for you and you believe in it, it's a good service.

Anthony, Shruthi: Thank you :)

Hyde: Oh that's an old hobby of mine. Though more offline. The sunday paper matrimonials.

Admin said...

But the matrimony pages are a sure indicator of which sector is doing well in the Job front. The demand shifted from IAS officers and Doctors to computer engineers and then MBAs. during the IT recession durin 2001, mechanical engineers and other traditional sectors were suddenly in demand. I even read an article in some major newspaper.

GratisGab said...

I can't stop laughing!!! You are great at laughing at your own...and doesn't all great humour do just that?

Admin said...

@ gratisgarb oh! she does write this way.. read her post i won't be rich..