Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Bliss is...

...a Cadbury Dairy Milk melting slowly in your mouth

But this post isn't about that. This post is about the joy of journalism. I'm no longer part of it in the truest sense of the term as I don't do stories that regularly, so perhaps I should edit that.

It's about the joy of meeting people and writing about them. Call it reporting, feature writing, jotting down hurriedly scribbled interview notes into a coherent form or what you will...the truth is, how many jobs let you meet a herpetologist one afternoon and two grannies who sell pizza the next morning?

Thank God I didn't change my mind in college when a pack of friends joined Sujata Khanna's MBA coaching classes and gave me long, hard stares when I refused to and mentioned the J word.

And Thank God I didn't change my mind when I discovered that rent was considerably more that the salary I got paid in my first job. (Well...should thank dad, actually)

It isn't a job that changes the world, requires unbridled imagination or extraordinary brainpower. Well at some level it does to a great extent, but hey, I'm just talking of my simple stuff, so let's not get there.

I love this for the people. A techie who gave up a lucrative career to start an e-library, an academic who's behind the best school in town, a woman who's given up shopping...

Where else do you get to meet such a varied lot?

* The Pizza Grannies, as many of you in Bangalore may have read, are raising funds for an old age home. The techie runs www.easylib.com. If you live in Bangalore and want a library with a truly eclectic collection of books, this is the place to log on.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

As my boss told me recently, this is a job for misfits.

I like being a misfit.

Kahini

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Its nice to read about someone who truly enjoys their job.. After all if you love your job, you wouldn't have to work for the rest of your life !

shub said...

Awesome :)

Anonymous said...

I used to be one but am beginning to love what am doing now, and don't mind the occassional forays into being a misfit :)
Subs

Anonymous said...

"It's about the joy of meeting people and writing about them."

How true!

Incidentally, the husband of my classmate in college has started a similar library in B-lore (www.readerslib.com), and he too gave up a lucrative software career! For a moment, I thought you were referring to him, then I saw the link to the website and realized this was someone else.

Anonymous said...

@Kahini: a misfit, or a fit Miss?

Anonymous said...

If you only SAW me, Parmanu (which of course is not going to happen before the book is written), you would know that I did not, in fact, invert what my boss said.

Kahini

Chindu said...

Yes, Rash, it is been a long time. And, hey, feature writing is journalism, arguably, the toughest kind! In Bangalore now? Oh well, I was planning to stop by Delhi next month! Never mind!

Anonymous said...

yeah lots of my friends are members here.. have you tried Eloor library.. Thats my haunt.. books books books galore..

the mad momma said...

i'll drink to that.