I always find it funny that my bookshelf in the living room gets such diverse comments. A very close friend who lives next door and drops in every other day notices only the chick lit variety and makes disparaging noises. He pointedly ignores the slightly more serious stuff kept right next to it. Then again, maybe pointedly is the wrong word because we only see what we want to see. A very classy and well-travelled colleague of my husband was very surprised at the collection of Bill Brysons and sportingly admitted that he didn't think I would enjoy that kind of humour.
Anyway, I find the comments and comparisons both funny and surprising because I don't have a big bookshelf or anything. Compared to some people I know my collection is a tiny one. I keep most of my books in a spare cupboard. The one in the living room is a small shelf that the man designed when he was 16 and refuses to give up. I've been wondering whether I should shift it to another room but it looks best there. I often do mean things like put in a lot of Georgette Heyers and the Shopaholic series just before some serious types come home and wait for the reaction. Yes, I may not have time for updating posts but I do have time for absurd stuff. So the bookshelf stays on because more than anything, I love the comments and reactions that it gets out of visitors. If not all, at least from some of them.
9 comments:
Oh you know.
I did a google on Rupa Gulab[who btw is my favourite favourite chick lit writer]
and I got pointed to your blog.
Vinita: Google pointed to my blog? How strange! I like her too. Watta coincidence, no?
GRIN
Subs
You are truly evil.
Kahini, impressed
Subs: GRIN. Yes
Kahini: Honored, bowing.
Yeah I think it was something about someone asking you if you were Rupa Gulab.
I don't think you are, but it's easy to see why someone would be confused
:)
P.s-she writes this great Political blog of sorts, but it's rarely updated!
I read this on my feedreader at work and forgot to comment later. Loved it :D You're wicked!
shub: pray, what is a freereader? Me is ignorant and might have missed on your blog :D
which is why my book shelf is enclosed in a white cupboard and nobody really knows what i read...and whatever i keep outside are mainly coffee table or cartoons or on cricket :)
Post a Comment