Thursday, October 18, 2007

Identity

There is a Durga Puja pandal right below my parents' fourth floor apartment in Kolkata. During the days of Puja, it is near impossible to hear what my parents are saying if I call them in the evening. The sound of the dhak drowns everything out. Thankfully, it also brings conversation to the minimum because these days the moment I hear it, there is a catch in my voice that my parents would find hard to miss and harder to forget.

It's quite strange actually. I haven't grown up around Durga Puja and don't start sighing about the 'chill in the wind and nip in the air' like most people who have grown up in Calcutta are likely to do, come end September/early October. I have rarely ever 'gone home' for the Pujas.

But these days I do miss it. I miss the fact that I don't go out rushing to buy new clothes the moment Puja arrives, because mostly I don't remember. My mom reminds me and though this year I bought clothes for the monkey, usually I lie to her and say yes because it will make her feel good. It helps that there's always something in my wardrobe that's not been worn. Not a case of too many clothes, just too many bad buys.

I don't have too many Durga Puja memories. At least not many in Kolkata. There was one when all cousins and uncles got together, piled into a van and visited all the famous Pujas. Then there was one that took place in my aunt's almost-crumbling ancestral house. And several years back, my homesick parents turning on the radio for the early morning Mahalaya.

The later day memories are all outside Calcutta. In Orissa, where I met the school crush (not sadly on Orkut, ha ha); in a very Bollywood style Andheri Puja that I'd visit with my friend mainly to eat Bhog; similar one in Vasant Kunj, again with friend, again for Bhog. It was something you did not only to assert your Bongness, please your parents, etc but also because it was there and it was part of your culture. For me, it didn't get bigger than that.

So I really don't know where the catch in the throat comes from these days. It probably has to do with the fact that I am sometimes a bit lost when it comes to the identity part. I come from a very Bengali family but I grew up all over the place and was encouraged to make friends with everyone, never forced to learn Rabindra Sangeet (Thanks God and Mother) or memorize Abol Tabol though I loved it, as I love Feluda, every self respecting Bong girl's literary crush in youth. When I decided to get married to a non-Bong, my dad's biggest worry was that his family doesn't eat non-veg, not that they were another very different community. Honest :)

It probably has to do with the fact that I have a child now (Aqua, sounds familiar?). And this is his heritage too, even if partially. So I try to chip in bits and parts, may be a song here and there, speaking to him in Bengali when we are alone and taking him for the obligatory visit to the Puja Pandal (We'll see the famous Ulsoor Durga Puja this year, I have announced to P), even though he is too small to remember anything. And then I realize: Help, this is my mom all over again!

PS: Now that I am reading through it, there are too many alien words in the post for someone not familiar with the strange world of Bongdom. Too lazy to link them all up to explanations now. Bherry Sorry.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was also my parents biggest worry - that parmanu does not eat non-vegetarian.

I felt as if you were walking through my feelings. The number of catches are increasing as the days of stay in Europe increases.

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

You know what, I never think of you as Bong. I don't know why, Bongs in my mind are people who pronounce V as B and you never did that when we met.

Strange. So anyways I get what you're saying I guess.

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))

Subs

PS: Just like that!

Anonymous said...

You know, there's a chill in the wind and nip in the air right here in Bombay. At least where I live. So I'm not THAT homesick. It smells like autumn...

Kahini

Hornswoggler said...

Colours: Now we should really meet you know :D

Poppins: Ha ha. But don't say that. There are loads of pucca Brit Bongs who'll come running to veat oops beat you up! :))

Subs: (((( ))))

Kahini: There, see?

Bips m said...

oye!! deja vu woman.....!! exactly what i said here...telepathy!!

Chindu said...

Rash, thanks for stopping by... and hey, I see you have an epilogue as well (thief!)! Kidding aside, as prolific -- and lightheartedly intense -- as ever! Keep going!!

Anonymous said...

"Help, this is my mom all over again!"

What a delightful sentence!

About "alien words" - the specifics may vary across people and cultures, but the essence you've captured is universal. We all trace different paths to our roots, to whatever identity is precious to us.

anumita said...

The older I am growing, the more I try to stick to tradition, hold on to bits of memory and try to recreate, relive them! Durga Puja included.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Yes! We should meet...

Hornswoggler said...

Colours: Yes we must. Are you there with the husband?

Anumita: I'm not the only one then...

Parmanu: I say that delightful sentence several times these days...very scary :)

Chindu: Saar, thank you, saar. *bows*

Bips: Just read. Yes. Ditto.

Bong Mom said...

You love Feluda...that is it, you are a pucca Bong.
I have Bong friends who haven't heard of Feluda just because they lived outside Kolkata for few years.

I hardly lived in Kolkata too.

I get your dad's sentiments :) That would be any Bong parents worry :D

Pallavi said...

awww hugssss >:D<