There's nothing worse than being a stay at home working mom. For starters you aren't taken seriously by anyone. Not even by yourself. You cannot say No, today is Tuesday I can't go out for dinner because unlike proper working moms, you do not have a morning rush hour, PF or a boss. So you tag along, even if there's a deadline looming at the back of your mind and the spectre of having to work way past midnight.
The people you are working for seem to think they are doing you a favor by simply offering you something to do. "That Bangalore housewife wants the deadline extended. God, what do these freelancers do the whole day!"*
The direct fallout of this is that they think your work hours extend the entire day because unlike them, you aren't really working, are you? And then there are ever helpful family and friends. "You look terrible," a friend informs, "Go get a haircut."
"But I don't have the time," I whine, "I drop A to the daycare, rush home and work, finish and pick him up. My day's packed."
"What nonsense!" she declares, "You're working from home, aren't you?"
Then there are the moms. The scariest of the lot are the ones who have given up Ivy League degrees and fat paychecks for Project Pram. "You should get him down to the park more often. The weather's really nice," they chorus. Mommy scrutiny gets me all shaken and stirred, sorry scared, so I can't help but get into unstoppable confession mode.
"Erm...I had a deadline. So I let him sit inside his tenthouse and watch Winnie The Pooh five times nonstop. Oh and I also let him eat chips and almost got him beer, just to get him to stay quiet," I dread the questions that will inevitably follow after Work Vs Park. Might as well deflect them beforehand.
The saddest bit is that all your 'Me Time' (to quote Femina/Cosmo etc) gets eaten up. When the tyke is away/asleep you work and when the tyke is around/awake you a)try to work or b)feel terribly guilty about Winnie The Pooh viewings (Television! The nemesis of good motherhood!) and try constructive, fun activity which results in 30 mins of play and two hours of clean up. There are four unread books lying on the bedside table and I feel weirdly guilty (Guilt is truly every mom's best pal) when I spot them gathering dust. After all, I don't even have a proper job. How would we ever manage if I did?
* I'm sure in another life I would have been a bitchy ed to a freelancing mom. This, I guess, is payback time.
12 comments:
Tsk. Go beat one of them up and then pick up that book and turn down post-midnight assignments.
Kahini
:) but its stay-at-home-and-working-like-crazy mums like you'll that keep my pages fed! No no, i am not a bitchy ed as yet!
LOL! you and I keep bluespriite happy...
and hey.. for a minute i thought u were talking abt my life.
I was a SAHM for 4 months from September'07 till Min Jan'08. And now I can say I know how it is to be a SAHM and Working from home mom! Its just hell. Thats why I decided to get back to a regular job again!
It was driving me crazy.
Kahini: No they aren't so bad actually. Not all of them. It's me probably. Disorganized as ever.
Bluespriite: Not as yet? As in you're planning to be bitchy ed? :)
MM: Yes, it's the same story, isn't it? And I have only one to manage. You have two. Phew!
NM: Thankoo...glad that someone knows both sides of the story :)
colours: for a minute I could even relate all that you said about guilt - but "tyke" could be replaced by husband and "work at home" by "work away from home".
Just ran into this blog. Great reading you. Lots of catch up...
LOL @ "Project Pram". did you just coin this term yourself.
Yeah i guess the moment y become a mommy your days are packed anyway. my tyke-ess adores barney btw. so it's multiple viewings of barney :) and i don't even feel the guilt.
and where's the promised phone call? we should meet up soon for lunch.
Colors: That soft spoken photographer masquerading as software guy is a tyke? But then, all men are, aren't they?
Sunil: Thank you. And welcome.
Aqua: Sorry...tyke's been unwell on and off. going to call now
Rash: Absolutely right! Even when they age....
Tsk, really, I thought I'd sent you a message yesterday, but obviously did not click the send button. You are not alone- I work from home too, and suffer the same indignities- not bitchy eds (I'm bitchier!) but the you do nothing all day nonsense, gimme a 100 page brochure in 10 minutes you slacker, and suchlike.If I had a child, I'd mail them fresh poo!
Hoy! Update.
Kahini
Post a Comment