Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Wear your choos when you go shopping next...

...because the magazine girl on the 'fashion' beat might just want you to be photographed. Well, it happened to us today. Correction. To my friend S, who was meeting me for lunch. We were standing outside the restaurant, waiting for another friend to turn up when this little girl approached and asked if we had two minutes. We thought she was a student doing a survey and gave her a we-hate-this-but-will-be-nice-to-you smile but it turned out that she was from a city magazine that does this 'Street Style' kind of page. They photograph well-dressed people and get the fashion editor to decode the look, why it works, etc. S was in two minds but I threatened her to be nice and pose coz I was sure the poor girl had been ordered by the editor to get 10 stylish people by the day's end. Once the photos were done, the girl asked S to tell her where her clothes, shoes and accessories were from. When S finished giving her the list, the girl asked if anything was designer.
No?
Hmmm...
Actually the watch looks neat...
200 bucks? Linking Road? What did you say the name was? N-a-g-a-n-i...oh it's just a regular store?
Well, is anything from overseas?
No?
Ok custom-designed?
Nah?
Ma'am, your bag looks really cool. Could you please say it's from Bangkok or Paris?

9 comments:

shub said...

hehe :) and just yest I was telling a friend I can never understand how people shell out a fortune on those monogrammed monstrosities called LV and designer labels as such!

Anonymous said...

Never mind, I just splurged at Mango :(

Subs

Mama - Mia said...

haha!

when i see magazines who do fashion pages saying scrounge and spurge, i usually die of embarassment!

what they say scrounge is my splurge!! otha than an overpriced angle for 200bucks froms arojini nagar market or linking road, nothing else if affordable!! hehe!

thanx for the laughs!

cheers!

abha

Barkha said...

Good one. I know quite a few brand-conscious people and have realized that it is not really fashion-related. For them brands have always carried an aspirational value. Something that they believe they should own once they earn enough money. It becomes synonymous with social standing for them. So wearing a mega brand always makes them realize that they are climbing up the social ladder.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the assignment was find someone well dressed in "brands" :)

Mera Bharat mahan - I miss having all that luxury of not being in brands but in tailor made clothes that hide what needs to be hidden.

Hornswoggler said...

Shub: Totally agree abt LV. Vogue will never give us a job of course.

Subs: Now that I know the story, I shall not make corporate type jokes :). Have a blast sweetheart.

Abha: Yes...even I keep wondering who these mags are targetting! Germ for another post!

Barkha: That's right. It does work that way with several people.

Colours: Quite possible. Having done impossibly idiotic assignments myself earlier I actually thing that was the assignment :). Oh and mailed you though not sure ID was right.

Lakshmi said...

lol..so you have become a celeb too

L

Pallavi said...

hahaha !! DUH..

the mad momma said...

LOL! oh we've all had bad days. desperate making up of letters to editor.. the works. glad you helped the poor girl!