Friday, May 30, 2008

Ever thought a forward could make you slurrp? Well this one did and ever since then I have been craving for Patishapta and Shukno mashla makha tetul (tamarind coated in dry spices). I did draw in the drool at the mention of Kosha Mangsho but they don't have the emotional attachment that patishapta and the spiced tetul hold for me. Those are the tastes of childhood. And a sudden invitation to so many memories.

Of long summer vacations. Of vacuous mornings spent staring out of the train window as the scenery unfolded from Mughalsarai to Howrah. Of midnight kulhar chais at unheard of stations.*

Of spending endless evenings at dida's place swatting the mosquitos while she battled those and the heat with a haathpakha (handfan, have seen them only in Cal) and we waited for the power to come. And of Patishapta. Nobody makes them like Dida did. Maami comes a close second, having learnt it first hand from her and is wonderful enough to make them everytime I visit Cal. But Dida's patishaptas were something else. Melt in the mouth with just the right touch of sweetness. So wonderful that you could eat them forever. It's a taste I search everytime I eat a patishapta anywhere, which is extremely rare. It's not a dish that's gone the roshogolla way in terms of availability and popularity. I wonder why.

And the spiced tetul? Well it has a love story associated with it. Of my cousin who carried on a long terrace romance with the boy next door (possibly named Pintu) for several years before any of them could gather up the courage to speak to each other. On my summer visits, I was the only witness allowed to take a peek into that romance while Pintu 'studied' in his small room on the terrace and cousin filled me on stuff: The day Pintu was caught looking for her, the day his friend asked for the cricket ball that had landed on her terrace, and so on. The lack of real spice in the gossip was more than made up by the tamarind. Before we could realize it, we had spent hours on the terrace, addicted not just to Pintu-analysis but also the spiced tetul.

* Had to write about the midnight kulhar chai. What is nostalgia if not clichéd? :p

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evocative. Dida means grandmom I presume?

Nish

Anonymous said...

We is headed thataway soon.

Another thing that makes me slurp: http://thecookscottage.typepad.com/

Kahini

PS: Just bought a book featuring the best food writing of 2007. Want?

Hornswoggler said...

Kahini: Are you? So am I, actually. Love Cooks cottage too...though don't read often. Of course want book. When have I not?

Anonymous said...

And you two will meet and have fun while I study! How rude!

Throwing a full fledged tantrum now.

Subs

Mama - Mia said...

:)

lovely nostalgic post! though am not familar with delicacies you talked about it made my mouth water anywayz!

cheers!

abha

ps: sorry about the comment on previous post! i didnt notice your blog was lot more private! oops!

Hornswoggler said...

Subs: Think of the after effects of studying. The part when you are hot shot corporate jetsetter and having fun. Do they have fun btw?

Abha: Thankoo. And yes, it's totally okay...I can always delete :D

Anonymous said...

Kahini & Rash, Will you both update your shelfari with the book so I can see it :)

Pallavi said...

ummmmm tetul... my mouth is watering lady..