Wednesday, November 12, 2008

One of those Dear God moments...

Dear God,

In my next life, please let me be born as a woman who is putty in a man’s hand…oops…no make that a man who is putty in a woman’s hand. Drat! I got it wrong again! No of course I don’t want to be a man in my next life but a woman who can make a man turn complete jelly in her hands. Yes, I know that sounds gross but that’s not what I meant and anyway you know what I am talking about, don’t you? You see, all my life I have wanted to be one of those women. You know the kind who just have to bat one eyelash (or is it the lid?) and have a line of men ready to climb the Everest or scale the Great Wall of China or basically do impossible things like that. Have no idea if Great Wall climb is improbable but you get the gist again, don’t you God?
I of course don’t want anything so far reaching. Just everyday normal stuff would do. Like dozing off while putting the baby to sleep and not having to worry about rinsing the dishes coz the man would SURELY (and not when he feels like it) do that; like being able to make the man put away his socks EVERYDAY WITHOUT FAIL. Being able to stop the bugger from going to a boys’ night out on the day when I don’t want him to. You see, very simple, homely stuff. Utterly probable.

I also want to be rid of this insane belief that I can take care of myself and turn into a similar version of my neighbor Nita in Delhi. You see, Nita’s husband would drive all the way to DLF in Gurgaon from Rohini in North Delhi, crossing his office at Essex Farms in South Delhi on the way, simply because she had to work so far. He would repeat the process in the evenings. I on the other hand would take the Rs. 25 chartered bus and on certain forgettable occasions, even the deathly Call Centre Sumo. All because the man thought I could take care of myself and so, tragically, did I.


So Dear God, in my next life turn me into a woman who can doze off at 8.30 PM with the sound knowledge that her husband has cleared the kitchen and put the dishes under the sink. Turn me into a woman who only has to say stuff like ‘stay with me baby’ or some such dialogue to make the man forget a night of boy bonding. And grant me the ability to shiver at the thought of taking an auto after dark. Amen.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

If blog posts were horses, I'd learn how to ride, even if it meant getting a sore butt.

Barkha said...

Hilarious! Have really been laughing throughout.

Pallavi said...

In other words, dear god, let me again be born as a woman.. buhahaha !!

Hornswoggler said...

Suman: Yes and I would learn how to drive :D

Barkha: Thank you. I too have a great time laughing at me these days :D

Pallavi: Yeah re...am a sucker! ;-p

Anonymous said...

Men!

Subs

Mama - Mia said...

can you send this wish with a CC to me also! i will just say reply all and tell God, Me Too! :D

LOVED this rash!

cheers!

abha

Lakshmi said...

lol..dont we all ?

Hornswoggler said...

Subs: yes, men!

Abha: hehe :)

Lakshmi: Yes we all do

Anonymous said...

Perhaps we should all just do a collective pooja.

Sonia said...

i'm a (kinda) single 27 year old living alone in dubai.

And you're telling me things will be the same even if I'm not single?! damn!

Hornswoggler said...

Colours: Very good idea. Next time you visit Bangalore we shall get it done.

Sonia: Erm...now what is kinda single? :-P Well, things can be different. There's still time, learn.

Ravi Kumar said...

did your hubby read the post?

Unknown said...

Hi,

I was reading ur blog posts and found some of them to be very good.. u write well.. Why don't you popularize it more.. ur posts on ur blog ‘Good Days & Bad Times’ took my particular attention as some of them are interesting topics of mine too;

BTW I help out some ex-IIMA guys who with another batch mate run www.rambhai.com where you can post links to your most loved blog-posts. Rambhai was the chaiwala at IIMA and it is a site where users can themselves share links to blog posts etc and other can find and vote on them. The best make it to the homepage!

This way you can reach out to rambhai readers some of whom could become your ardent fans.. who knows.. :)

Cheers,

Sonia said...

*kinda* single means someone's not quite there and yet he is! ;o)

and yeah, before anything becomes concrete, i guess i need to brush up on my "bachao!!" skills! :D

Hornswoggler said...

Ravi: No. But he does have a general idea of my er..feelings :)

Dear Management: Thank you very much. But anything termed 'management' scares the hell out of me. So does popularity on the web. Shall therefore give this a miss.

Sonia: Wah...*gets misty eyed at memory of kinda single days*