Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Designer Births

At the rate things are turning into boutiques, I'm scared soon I'll have no money to spend anywhere, even the local bania store.
Just now, a PR girl called to inform me about the latest 'Birthing Boutique' in town, in a 'I'm about to give you the scoop of the century' voice. I gulped as she went on about baby pink walls, a cafe and a mom & baby bonding rooms. Had visions of heavily pregnant mothers wearing four inch heels and led screaming to the delivery room in Gucci and Dior type clothes.
Soft PR voice went on to coo about the piped music, satin sheets (not exactly that but something similar), gourmet meals and designer cots. 'They do have doctors around...?,' I ventured. 'Of course!' she switched to a voice that was now talking about incidental, unpleasant stuff, 'It is, after all, a hospital!'
There it was! A hospital! Why didn't they tell me before!
Now, I'm all for bright, cheery looking hospitals that make you feel comfortable from the moment you step in. Even if they cost a bomb. And if the doctor is a George Clooney lookalike, well....(allow me a moment to drool).
To get back to the 'Birthing Boutique.' I was a little bothered by the name at first. Then I thought, at the rate the world is going designer, it's wonderful to have a mall cum spa with a hospital attached, where you can shop, have a massage and come back home with a baby! Why not?

No comments: