I get a lot of flak for leaving my son in a daycare while I stay at home and work, as opposed to being away in office. Most of the flak is not direct of course. It's hinted at or expressed with a raised eyebrow or just an accusatory 'oh!' When he first started going, perhaps a bit of the 'guilt' (courtesy mom/MIL) rubbed off on me and I would find myself explaining to random strangers in the lift why he goes/for how long/how he loves playing there and all that.
Thankfully that stopped the day a wise lady cut me short and said, don't feel guilty darling, no mother takes a decision without thinking it through. I have worshipped the ground beneath her feet ever since (the floor of the lift as that's where we usually meet).
Yes, no mother takes a decision without thinking it through. Why then are we so quick to judge fellow mommies? We look at the child running wild flinging things off the shelves (okay, one chocolate) in the supermarket and we think the mother doesn't discipline him. What if she does? What if she's a strict mommy otherwise but may be this is a bad day, for him as well as her?
We shake our heads in unison as that cute girl from the building falls off the cycle and hurts herself while the maid flirts with the watchman. That poor thing, the parents shouldn't have chosen such a careless maid! What if they didn't? What if they took months over the decision, visiting as many agencies as possible and finally selecting who they thought was best? What if tomorrow, after she's seen the bruise, the mother doesn't spend a single guilt-free moment at work?
The thing is, we can't help ourselves. It's human nature to be judgemental. Maybe not in the absolute extreme sense but say, at least for 10-15 minutes, convincing ourselves that we've got it right while the other person has it hopelessly wrong.
10 comments:
Rash...this post is so brilliant. And applies to just everything I guess - not restricted to judgments on mommies alone :) You hit the nail right on the head.
(((((((()))))))
Just like that.
Subs
You're so right! As a relatively new mom, I now consciously try to avoid making a judgement about another parent. Who knows, my kid and I may be the one getting all the dirty looks!
Btw, I love your blog and so does hubby :).
Lol yeah. I think it's a reverse guilt, when somebody sees a mom having a hard time or a badly behaved baby they feel strangely less guilty about their own choices and their kid's upbringing!
Shub: Thank you :)
subs: ((((( ))))) back
anon: thanks so much.
Poppins: Thanks for bringing the 'lol' in it. I wrote it in a grumpy fit but it is funny isn't it?
:)
i know just what you are saying! i hate being judgmental and judged! i was so pissed when of the uncles noddded sadly saying its all about priorities when i told him Cubby stay home with maid as i work! AS if cubby WASNT first priority! geez!
i think its abs ok for ur kid to go to day care! so what if you at home! even you need some you time and am sure its great for the kid! i have a pal in Mumbai who sends her kid to a daycare in the next bldg for 4hrs! she is quite happy with the arrangement! :)
lovely post! glad you decided to drop by on my space!! the blogosphere is so big, ypu possibly cant find all the gems! :)
glad to be here! and sorry for that ultra looong comment!!
cheers!
abha
I dont think there is any need for guilt..and please, we are not answerable to anyone
lakshmi
Very true. Sometimes its to beat our own insecurities, we become judgemental just to bring the other person down. Sad!
Oh, and tell me about leaving kid in day care and work from home. My own 3 year old asked me one day - mumma, why you don't work like papa? When I told her I work from home, because her little sister is too young and needs to be supervised. She says that I only play barney games at the computer while she is at school. And thats not work. Go figure!!
oh i totally agree - even as i judge the neighbours kid!
esp after my second daughter was born. the first one was a dream and i was quick to take all credit for her turning out that way. in my defence i did put in effort! but come no.2 and i soon wisened up. in spite of all my efforts she is a gunda. a sweet gunda, but a gunda nevertheless. and now i know that maybe just maybe other mothers put in effort too. and their kids turn out ruffians inspite of their effort sometimes - maybe not because of the lack of it!
d
Guess thats something I will have to go through as well.. Sigh.. but who cares as long as you have a good daycare.. and you have someone you trust.. so its all cool
Post a Comment