Can you imagine a childhood spent without having read a single fantasy novel or fairy tale? I can't. Which is why I had such an incredulous expression on my face when I met Mrs Alternative and her six-year-old boy at a puppetry workshop conducted by my friend recently.
Mrs Alt was very charming and friendly and we got talking soon. It inevitably started with bump talk (how many months, weight gain, diet, etc) and somehow moved on to books and theatre, the latter also being Mrs Alt's line of work. When my friend joined we ended up talking about children's books and Mrs Alt revealed that she was not 'in favour of fairy tales and fantasy fiction.'
We were intrigued and asked her the reason to which she said she and her husband did not believe in them. Fantasy did not give children any idea of reality and created the impression of a false world. At this point the expression on my face got too obvious and my tongue started to loosen up, which is why I stayed mum and prefered listening to her.
While my friend and Mrs Alt had a civilized but heated discussion, I thought of the time in childhood when I first read 'The Borrowers' and spent quite a long time imagining an entire colony of people living under the floor tiles. Or of the long summer vacation afternoons at my aunt's house when an old wardrobe was the object of my imagination.
I wish I could say to each her own after hearing out Mrs Alt. We are all welcome to stick to our individual decisions, principles, beliefs etc, because we are adults with a mind of our own and the ability (hopefulyl) to discern between what we think is right or wrong. But is it fair to impose it on children without giving them a chance to explore, experiment and see what they really like and dislike? What they really believe in or are indifferent to? By forcing our ideas and our beliefs on an impressionable mind, aren't we then creating only half a world for the child?
6 comments:
yeah....kinda sad!!
but heck, they'll grow up to be okay...after all there are millions of other kids how grow up just taht way. Kinda out of context I know...but am saying this cos ur first line just intrigued me.."Can you imagine a childhood spent without having read a single fantasy novel or fairy tale?"
That is amazing for a person who is in Theatre !!!!
Just because you don't have it in your childhood doesn't mean you'll NEVER have it. Though I am not in favour of banning books for children. That's why I loved the Aurobindo Bhawan children's library. No adults allowed, not even parents.
agree with u rash....imagination is creativity!
bipasha
huh now that I cannot imagine
Hi Kahini -- I also went to Aurobindo library when I was young.. Just wanted to agree with you on how wonderful it was.. Have you seen it recently? Its a complete mess.. makes me sad!
Post a Comment