Poor Ram Gopal Varma. He and the factory seem to have run out of ideas. Why else would he want to remake James, Shiva and Sholay? I'm sorry but the very thought has me in splits. Especially when I read that the Sholay remake is to be called 'Ramgopal Varma Ki Sholay.' Yes. The man is serious. Reminds me of a C-grade movie made years back with all those Amitabh and Dharmendra lookalikes and Amjaad Khan. It was called Ramgarh Ke Sholay. Hehehe.
Why are Bollywood directors into remakes? That too of a film released in 1975, one released in the early 90s (?) and one released what, some two months back? Hollywood does remakes too and sometimes successfully but I wonder if it works for Bollywood. Our movies seem to stay longer in our memory shelves. Perhaps it's because of the songs.
Why are Bollywood directors into remakes? That too of a film released in 1975, one released in the early 90s (?) and one released what, some two months back? Hollywood does remakes too and sometimes successfully but I wonder if it works for Bollywood. Our movies seem to stay longer in our memory shelves. Perhaps it's because of the songs.
(Though I dunno if anyone remembers any songs from Shiva. In fact, I don’t recall the movie at all, except that it had a very hairy Nagarjuna and lots of fights.)
In recent years, the recall value is perhaps higher because of the combined might of Zee Cinema/Sony Max, etc, which repeat these films often enough to ensure that no memory lapses occur.
Which makes me wonder if we’ll be interested in watching the all-new Umraojaan by JP Dutta. It was only made in 1981 and I tend to remember stuff from that many years back at least (except for Shiva, ha ha). And for God's sake, Aishwarya Rai? Can you imagine the film without Rekha in it? Without Farooq Shaikh's elegant portrayal of Nawab Sultan? And what are they going to do about the songs? How do you expect to match or surpass gems like 'justju jiski thi...' and 'In ankhon ki masti ke....'
The remade Sholay could do with some nice music though. Kill me if you are a Sholay fan and bought cassettes with 'songs and dialogues from Sholay' in your misguided youth (I know people who did) but music ain't that film's strong point. Ok, I'm not talking about the background score here.
Perhaps Ramu could introduce Gabbar Singh to that 'haunting' item number from James: 'Woh hero hai, hero hai, woh hai hero....' After all, Gabbar is the real hero of Sholay isn't he? And with Big B playing that role he'll dwarf everyone else in it anyway.
And since Ramu is remaking both James and Sholay it shouldn't be a problem to lift bits and parts from here and there, eh? That’s what remixes are all about.
In recent years, the recall value is perhaps higher because of the combined might of Zee Cinema/Sony Max, etc, which repeat these films often enough to ensure that no memory lapses occur.
Which makes me wonder if we’ll be interested in watching the all-new Umraojaan by JP Dutta. It was only made in 1981 and I tend to remember stuff from that many years back at least (except for Shiva, ha ha). And for God's sake, Aishwarya Rai? Can you imagine the film without Rekha in it? Without Farooq Shaikh's elegant portrayal of Nawab Sultan? And what are they going to do about the songs? How do you expect to match or surpass gems like 'justju jiski thi...' and 'In ankhon ki masti ke....'
The remade Sholay could do with some nice music though. Kill me if you are a Sholay fan and bought cassettes with 'songs and dialogues from Sholay' in your misguided youth (I know people who did) but music ain't that film's strong point. Ok, I'm not talking about the background score here.
Perhaps Ramu could introduce Gabbar Singh to that 'haunting' item number from James: 'Woh hero hai, hero hai, woh hai hero....' After all, Gabbar is the real hero of Sholay isn't he? And with Big B playing that role he'll dwarf everyone else in it anyway.
And since Ramu is remaking both James and Sholay it shouldn't be a problem to lift bits and parts from here and there, eh? That’s what remixes are all about.
9 comments:
I hear Umrao Jaan, and I recall Rekha in it. I don't want to think what the all-new Umrao Jaan is going to do to my mind. I can hazard a guess. It will be like recalling SRK when you think of Devdas.
ram gopal varma ke chholey...
You had me laughing out loud at the memory of "Ramgarh Ke Sholay"! LOL!
Or even "Dil cheez kya hai"...God I hope Aishwarya doesn't do her extra-melodrama -eye-movement here....
this is spamming is getting too irritating. i hate that word verification thing but dunno if it really works...dal doon kya?
Hyde: Ditto thoughts. These guys are really low on ideas i guess
Wendigo: Welcome here. Yes that'd have been a better title ha ha
Gabby: Even you remember that film. Thank God am not the only one! Must tell the husband who laughs at me for remembering such things
buuuut, i heard the new sholay is set in contemporary times and a different background, possibly ramu's fave backdrop -mumbai....
original is the best... whatever one says
Kutte Kamine. Chun chun ke maroonga.
Post a Comment