Whatta happy coincidence. Two days after I spot Frank Simoes' Goa at a local bookstore and leave it behind for later as I'm not carrying enough cash, not even my overused credit card, I get a gift from Kahini and guess what it is?
The very same book, which she spotted while on a crazy book buying spree at Reader's Bookshop, Santacruz.
Before it was reissued in its current avatar, this book used to called Glad Seasons In Goa, a better name than the current one. We were unaware of its existence untill Kahini discovered a dog-eared copy that belonged to her brother in law, read it at one go, regretted not having read it before she met Frank Simoes (lucky girl) and passed it on to moi.
Like her, I loved it instantly. If you love Goa (like most of us do), this book is a must-read. In fact, you probably have it on your bookshelf already. Nothing else gives a better picture of a life that seems to be spent building a wonderful house, tackling the Goan monsoon, meeting people like Aloysius the master carpenter and Barty and Bostao, sampling great prwan balchao, rowing friendly fishermen to St Anthony's Bar in Baga, drinking three fingers of various spirited stuff and living it up to the hilt.
Of course, the late advertising legend did much, much more with his life but we're glad he also took time off to write this book, probably sitting on the balcony of Rockheart, with the whisky and the typewriter.
8 comments:
sigh..goa !!
Goa is not a place...
Its a state of mind.
Grin.
have fun reading that !!
Your post brings back good and bad memories! Good, because I SO enjoyed reading 'Frank Unedited' early this year. And then I found 'Goa' at Strand and picked it up for a good friend. Dunno what the blasted courier company did, but it never reached! :-(
What an amazing writer!
Hey you fellow-mom-to-be :)
manuscrypts: Aptly put...sigh indeed :)
Moby Dick: Cheers to that!
Kahini: :))
Pallavi: Fang you.
Lee: Yes, what an amazing writer indeed. What a pity he passed away so soon.
Gabby: Rushed to your blog after reading that ;)
Post a Comment